Why You Should Be Our Next Employee?
- Great people to work with
- Interesting and challenging opportunities
- A great culture and work environment
Our jobs have lots of variety. We have fun! We work safely. We emphasize training and learning to grow your career. We empower people and let them
make decisions. We have opportunities around the globe. We value diversity and work/life balance. We encourage outside the box thinking. We
get you involved in exciting projects. We have a passion for customer service and quality products. These are some of the reasons why you want
to continue your career with Canada Malting!
We don't have bureaucracy or office politics. We reward and recognize people. We aren't so large that you can't impact the business and see the
results of your efforts. We are flexible. We coach and mentor each other. We have on-line learning.
Join us and make a difference! Develop skills and experience you never imagined. Broaden yourself. Launch your career to the next level at Canada
Canada Malting Trainee Program
Each year we take on one or two graduate production trainees. The program runs for 24 months and provides a wide range of experiences within the
production environment across our malting sites alongside a structured training program. Trainees will be given responsibility from day one
and get an insight into many aspects of the business including experiences in different locations. You will spend around 6 months at each location
while you learn the art of making high quality malt.
The program is for recent graduates who are looking for a career in the malting industry with our preference being for graduates with a degree
in agriculture, engineering, or a science subject.
Reporting to the Territory Manager. Successful applicant will manage everyday activities at the Watrous Elevator including buying malting quality barley,
shipping to specification, and managing employees.
- Manage 3-5 full-time employees
- Manage grain contracting and grain pricing budgets
- Manage operating expense budget
- Blend and Ship to specification malt barley
- Maintain HACCP and safety compliance records
- Maintain elevator and document safety and housekeeping records
- Hold all employees accountable for following safe work procedures
- Support capital asset projects related to implementing a higher standard of safety
- Regularly participate in conference calls with peers at all other prairie elevators
- Maintain existing customer base with high level of integrity consistent with the company’s core values
- Expand existing business through customer acquisition and growth within customer base
- Find innovative ways to improve or augment customer offerings
- Communicate and delegate responsibility to ensure efficient and effective use of employee skills
- Train and continuously develop employees, both in current roles and to prepare them for future roles
- Utilize Key Performance Initiatives and Performance Development Plans with employees
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum 5 years in grain industry
- 3 years in elevator operations
- Basic computer skills, including Outlook, Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Management of direct reports
- Experience in grain contracting, both CWB and open market
- Experience in truck or rail logistics
- Grade 12 or equivalent GED
- Degree or diploma in Agriculture or related field
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume by end of day July 11, 2017.
Reporting to the Plant Manager, the Malting Manager is responsible for the safe and efficient operations of all activities associated with malt production
at the Calgary plant. This includes ordering barley, malt processing, plant sanitation, malt shipments to meet customer demand and specifications,
minimizing manufacturing costs, maximizing profit, and ensure quality while ensuring compliance with environment, health and safety standards.
- Ensures malt production analysis, manufacturing methods and malt shipments meet internal and customer specifications.
- Documents and addresses production non-conformances.
- Leads process improvement initiatives.
- Establishes manufacturing policies and operations standards for cost control, waste reduction, inventory, quality, etc. to achieve P & L objectives.
- Verifies month-end and year-end financial reporting.
- Develops relationships with customers both on a local and corporate scale as deemed necessary by the sales group.
- Establishes KPI’s for direct reports ensuring completion in time frames established.
- Responsible for the communication of Key Performance Indicators to Plant Staff.
- Responsible for the communication and implementation of company plan.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining a personal best performance environment for all employees based upon the company values and code of ethics.
- Ensures compliance with union contract(s).
- Responsible for payroll for direct reports.
- Ensures that malt is produced in a manner that is safe and has minimal impact to the environment.
- Ensures that the plant meets all governmental and corporate EH & S reporting requirements.
- Ensure all required H&S training is completed annually.
- Responsible for planning and scheduling production employees to meet production plan goals.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- PC literate, including Microsoft Office Suite and production systems.
- Ability to work successfully as a team leader and member of various project teams.
- 4+ years experience in Production Management, preferably in a malting or brewing environment.
- Ability to manage projects from inception to resolution.
- Must be able to effectively present and discuss data in large group format.
- Knowledge of Management Systems (
GMP, HACCP, EHS, Smartsoft, Sharepoint) an asset.
- Experienced working in a unionized workplace.
Bachelors degree in a related field preferably with malting or brewing concentration.
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume by end of day July 12, 2017.
THE ROLE: The successful candidate will be required to perform operational and sanitation duties in either our Malting or Grain handling
- Loading and unloading of malt vessels using automated and or manual transfer equipment.
- Operation of malthouse using automated process controls.
- Manual washing of malting vessels using high pressure wash hoses.
- Cleaning of vessels using various chemical sanitizing agents.
- General sanitation duties as required.
Grain Handling Operations:
- Operation of a grain handling facility using automated process controls.
- Loading and unloading of grain from railcars (work from heights).
- General sanitation of grain elevator. Vacuuming, sweeping and/or shoveling of grain.
- Safety training provided upon hiring.
- Personal Protective Equipment required in all work environments.
- Shift work required.
- Some positions require outdoor work.
- Indoor work environments can vary between wet, dusty, cold, hot and high noise conditions.
- Work around automated equipment.
- Educational and apprenticeship programs available.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma. Preference will be given to those applicants with post-secondary education (power engineering or related courses).
- Previous experience in grain handling, food processing or manufacturing considered an asset.
- High degree of mechanical aptitude through apprenticeship or job related experience.
- Previous safety training an asset.
- Excellent communication and written skills.
- Ability to work alone or in a group.
- Attention to detail
- Positive attitude and self-starter
PAY RATE: $23.58 probationary for 6 months. $31.22 thereafter.
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to: Kelsey Evans (Kelsey.email@example.com)